- But their results suggest that stem cells have a scripted set of responses and cannot make just any blood cell type.
- Labeling cells in vivo with unique color combinations encoded into the DNA allows researchers to track and study how cells behave in healthy and diseased conditions.
- For blood stem cells, that color becomes a genetic signature passed down to daughter cells; purple stem cells, for example, will only make purple blood cells.
- As genes recombine inside the cell, the cell elaborates a color unique to its genetic code.
- When transplanted into a new environment, each cell not only consistently made the same mature blood cell types but also the same number of those cells.
Harvard researchers track the development and behavior of individual stem cells | Harvard Stem Cell Institute researchers have used a colorful cell-labeling technique to track the development of the blood system and trace the lineage of an adult blood cell traveling through the vast networks of veins, arteries, and capillaries back to its parent stem cell in the marrow.
Continue reading “Colorful clones track stem cells”
- Politics is a muddled activity in which people have to recognize restraints and settle for less than they want.
- The antipolitics people don’t accept that politics is a limited activity.
- People say that Trump is an unconventional candidate and that he represents a break from politics as usual.
- The downside of politics is that people never really get everything they want.
- Over the past generation we have seen the rise of a group of people who are against politics.
Donald Trump’s candidacy is the culmination of 30 years of antipolitics.
Continue reading “The Governing Cancer of Our Time”
- Areas that are not as open to the idea of needle exchanges may not have them.
- Syringe exchanges help reduce rates of HIV, CDC says
- One-third of all drug users have shared needles in the past year.
- The rate among Latino drug users dropped by almost 50%.
- The outbreak resulted in at least 140 cases of HIV.
A new report finds the use of syringe or needle exchanges has contributed to significant drops in the rates of HIV among African-American and Latino drug users.
Continue reading “CDC: Syringe exchanges help reduce rates of HIV”
- If you’ve got skill to build an Ikea bookshelf, you can build this truck: bit.ly/2fpNUkf
- Added perk: Both wild and farmed salmon aren’t very dense and can absorb brine faster than other meats.
- Wild filets also have significantly more collagen-the protein that gives meat its structure and holds its fibers together.
- Subscribe now to get 6 months for $5 – plus a FREE Portable Phone Charger.
- The main difference in farmed vs. wild salmon is fat, which means you can get delicious cuts out of either variety if you cook them each a little differently.
Because overcooked fish tastes like salty plywood.
Continue reading “Master the Chemistry of Juicy, Tender Salmon”
- The coalition features veterans from every branch of the military
- The group will feature veterans from every branch of the military who are urging lawmakers to toughen gun laws, the organization said in a news release.
- Petraeus, who resigned as CIA director in November 2012 when it emerged that he was having an extramarital affair with his biographer, Paula Broadwell, rarely, if ever, speaks publicly on domestic political issues.
- The two announced on Friday that they were launching Veterans Coalition for Common Sense to encourage elected leaders to “do more to prevent gun tragedies.”
- Washington (CNN) Retired U.S. Army Gen. David Petraeus, who has long resisted calls to run for political office, is teaming up with retired NASA astronaut Mark Kelly to create a new group urging greater gun control.
Retired U.S. Army Gen. David Petraeus, who has long resisted calls to run for political office, is teaming up with retired NASA astronaut Mark Kelly to create a new group urging greater gun control.
Continue reading “David Petraeus, Mark Kelly launch gun control group”
- Sit on an incline bench and hold a dumbbell in each hand by your side.
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand and lie on an incline bench.
- Keep your upper arm still and your palms facing inwards, and lift the dumbbell to your shoulders.
- Workout 7 RISK FREE EXERCISES TO BOOST YOUR MOOD
- Squeeze your triceps and raise the dumbbells back to the starting position.
Lift your spirits along with your dumbbells this Thursday
Continue reading “7 RISK FREE EXERCISES TO BOOST YOUR MOOD”
- The researchers also showed that cancer cells with high Mena levels had more dynamic microtubules than cells with low Mena levels.
- The Mena protein is known to interact with a cell’s cytoskeleton in ways that help the cell to become mobile.
- Previous studies have shown that paclitaxel treatment also affects a cellular pathway known as ERK signaling, which is often overactive in cancer cells and drives cell proliferation.
- The biomarker, a protein called Mena, has previously been shown to help cancer cells spread through the body.
- Many cancer patients have an alternative form of the protein known as Mena invasive or Mena INV , which helps cancer cells to spread from their original location through a process known as metastasis.
MIT biologists have identified a new biomarker — a protein called Mena — that can reveal whether patients with an aggressive type of breast cancer will be helped by the chemotherapy drug paclitaxel. They also showed that combining paclitaxel with another drug that interferes with Mena’s effects can kill the cells much more effectively than paclitaxel alone.
Continue reading “Biomarker could help guide cancer therapy, avoid drug resistance”